Last-gasp Lisbie lifts Orient

Orient boss Russell Slade (Pic: Simon O'Connor)

Orient boss Russell Slade (Pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

Capital One Cup: Leyton Orient 3 Coventry 2

Super Kevin Lisbie’s late header sent O’s into the next round against ten-man Coventry at Brisbane Road.

The veteran striker stooped to convert a deep cross from Moses Odubajo for his second goal of the night, after the visitors had seen captain Carl Baker dismissed on the hour for a nasty challenge on Romain Vincelot.

But the home side were made to work hard for their win by a determined Coventry side, securing their place in the next round only after Jamie Jones had saved a Leon Clarke penalty.

Barely two minutes had been played when Coventry’s Callum Wilson ran into space on the right and delivered a low cross from which Scott Cuthbert, captain for the night in the absence of Nathan Clarke, forced an instinctive save from his own keeper Jones.

And O’s did not heed the early warning as Coventry got in again on the right side on 13 minutes when Baker’s pass found Cyrus Christie and his hard and low delivery flew across the face of goal and just out of the reach of Clarke.

Some intricate link-up play just outside the box then created an opening for Franck Moussa, whose effort was kept out by the onrushing Jones, as the Coventry fans sang “It’s just like watching Brazil” with their heroes in yellow shirts and blue shorts.

Most Read

Orient fans might have felt the same way about their team during their stunning 5-1 opening day success at Carlisle and the hosts went close on 18 minutes when a Lloyd James free-kick flew past the outstretched boot of Mathieu Baudry and was deflected behind.

But Coventry took the lead midway through the half when a long kick by keeper Joe Murphy found Baker, who beat Gary Sawyer and fired a left-footed shot past Jones and inside the far post.

Parity was soon restored as Vincelot found Dean Cox in the box and his cross picked out David Mooney, whose volley was parried by Murphy and fell kindly for Lisbie to lash home the loose ball on 27 minutes.

And, after a brief spell of Coventry pressure, Orient fans were on their feet again as a James free-kick was only half cleared to Cox, who drilled a low shot into the bottom corner in the 37th minute.

The visitors came close to levelling before the break when Moussa hit the outside of the left post from 20 yards, but Mooney’s far post header from Cox’s deep cross forced Murphy to push the ball behind in stoppage time.

The second half came to life five minutes after the restart when James fizzed a 25-yard drive narrowly over the crossbar, as O’s sought their third goal of the night.

And Vincelot produced a surging run into the box soon after, swapping passes with Cox and Lisbie, before his angled effort was grabbed by Murphy.

But Coventry responded with an effort from Clarke, which Jones pushed behind, and Baker sliced a wild effort well wide.

Baker saw red moments later, for a studs-up tackle on Vincelot in midfield and made an angry exit to the amusement of the home supporters.

But the ten men of Coventry were back on terms on the hour when Moussa took advantage of a kind bounce to rifle a shot past the despairing dive of Jones from 20 yards and the mood quickly changed inside the Matchroom Stadium.

The visiting fans, despite the off-field problems dogging their club, found their voice as they sensed an upset. And Christie got the better of Sawyer on 72 minutes, only for Baudry to make a sliding block in the area.

Clarke got goalside of Cuthbert five minutes later and the Orient defender conceded a penalty, earning a yellow card for his troubles.

But Jones came to his defender’s rescue again, diving to his right to block Clarke’s spot-kick and smothering the loose ball to keep O’s on terms.

Slade sent Yohann Lasimant on for Cox with five minutes remaining in a late push for a winner and got it with time almost up as Odubajo swung in a deep cross from the left and Lisbie, peeling off his marker, steered a header inside the far post.

There were still four minutes of injury time to navigate, but Orient were not in the mood to let their lead slip for a second time.

Orient: Jones, Omozusi, Sawyer, Vincelot, Cuthbert, Baudry, Cox (Lasimant 85), James, Lisbie, Mooney, Odubajo.

Subs not used: Larkins, Lee, Vanderhyde, Sheratt, Gorman.

Coventry: Murphy, Christie, Adams, Thomas, Fleck, Baker, L Clarke, Moussa, Willis, Wilson, J Clarke.

Subs not used: Burge, Barton, Daniels, Phillips, Garner, Lobjoit, Maund.

Referee: Dean Whitestone.

Attendance: 2,871 (including 487 Coventry fans).