Budding East Ham fashion designer prepares for London Fashion Week catwalk
- Credit: Archant
A budding fashion designer has been putting the finishing touches to her work after being chosen to showcase her talents at London Fashion Week.
Laiba Hamza, of Burges Road, East Ham, is one of 20 young designers due to see their designs modelled on the catwalk.
The opportunity comes thanks to the fashion futures programme run by Fashion Awareness Direct (FAD) which helps young people break into the elite fashion industry.
Laiba said: "FAD has given me more confidence to say what I feel."
The 21-year-old is one of 20 creatives from diverse backgrounds to have been shortlisted out of more than 70 teenagers.
You may also want to watch:
The work explores issues of sustainability and people's relationships with the natural world with the teenage designers' ideas including zero-waste, re-using waste, biodegradable materials, upcycling and the exploration of natural forms.
With the support of sponsors NatWest and the retailer, ASOS, the finalists have been working to perfect their designs using industrial machinery and professional production techniques ahead of Friday's show.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 4 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London