Ladies’ group holds ‘Oscars’ awards for inspirational women in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A women’s group will be holding its own Oscars this week with an awards ceremony to mark International Women’s Day.
Women Mentoring Women will host the Inspirational Woman Awards at School 21 in Newmount Street, Stratford, on March 8 from 5pm to 8pm, and will celebrate women who “think positively, love themselves and find beauty in the ‘ugliest’ of days”.
The awards categories include Against the odds, Yes I can, Love your body, Beyond the scars, Changing the future and The extra mile.
Attendees will have the opportunity to meet the speakers and hear their stories.
Speakers include Jenny Edwards CBE, chief executive of Mental Health Foundation, Sola Afuape, chair the Afiya Trust,
and Celia Apeagyei-Collins, president of the Rehoboth Foundation.
There will also be entertainment from performing artists Floetic Lara, the West End Gospel Choir, Ssuzane and Mbali.
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 9 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 10 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
Newham residents are also offered entry at the concessionary rate.
Women Mentoring Women is a non-profit women’s network that began as a Ladies Club in the Clays Lane area in Stratford.
For tickets please visit iwa2014.eventbrite.co.uk or for more information visit womenmentoringwomen.me.