Ladies’ group holds ‘Oscars’ awards for inspirational women in Stratford
- Credit: Archant
A women’s group will be holding its own Oscars this week with an awards ceremony to mark International Women’s Day.
Women Mentoring Women will host the Inspirational Woman Awards at School 21 in Newmount Street, Stratford, on March 8 from 5pm to 8pm, and will celebrate women who “think positively, love themselves and find beauty in the ‘ugliest’ of days”.
The awards categories include Against the odds, Yes I can, Love your body, Beyond the scars, Changing the future and The extra mile.
Attendees will have the opportunity to meet the speakers and hear their stories.
Speakers include Jenny Edwards CBE, chief executive of Mental Health Foundation, Sola Afuape, chair the Afiya Trust,
You may also want to watch:
and Celia Apeagyei-Collins, president of the Rehoboth Foundation.
There will also be entertainment from performing artists Floetic Lara, the West End Gospel Choir, Ssuzane and Mbali.
- 1 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 2 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital
Newham residents are also offered entry at the concessionary rate.
Women Mentoring Women is a non-profit women’s network that began as a Ladies Club in the Clays Lane area in Stratford.
For tickets please visit iwa2014.eventbrite.co.uk or for more information visit womenmentoringwomen.me.