Labour’s Tonii Wilson wins Beckton by-election
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
Labour candidate Tonii Wilson has been elected as Beckton’s third councillor following yesterday’s by-election.
She secured just over 50 per cent of the 1,983 votes following a turn-out of 18.86pc.
The by-election was called following the death of Labour councillor Alec Kellaway in June.
Cllr Wilson said: “Thank you to the residents of Beckton for placing their trust in me.
“I will endeavour to serve the community well and look forward to working with the Mayor and my fellow councillors over the next four years.”
Conservative candidate Syed Ahmed came in second place with 584 votes, with David Mears of Ukip in third with 215 votes.
Green Party candidate Jane Lithgow was fourth with 70 votes, followed by David Thorpe of the Liberal Democrats with 43, Kayode Shedowo of the Christian People’s Alliance with 33 and Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition candidate Mark Dunne with 21 votes.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 8 Hammers fans show support for Christmas Toy Appeal
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
Cllr Wilson’s election means she joins fellow Labour councillors Ayesha Choudhury and David Christie in representing the ward.