Kristy Bamu witchcraft killing: Couple from Manor Park guilty of murder
A couple who tortured and drowned a teenage boy after accusing him of witchcraft are facing life sentences.
Magalie Bamu, 29, attacked her 15-year-old brother Kristy with pliers and a metal pole, while her fiance Eric Bikubi, 28, used knives, wooden planks and a hammer.
The pair also inflicted beatings on Kristy’s sister Kelly, 20, and a younger sister, who cannot be named, after accusing them of sorcery.
Kristy suffered 130 separate injuries after he was subjected to “torture of quite brutal and savage proportions”, the Old Bailey heard.
His face and head were covered in cuts, his teeth had been smashed out and ceramic floor tiles had been broken over his head when he was discovered in his attackers’ blood-soaked flat on Christmas Day 2010.
You may also want to watch:
Part of his ear had been torn off with the pliers and he had been forced to eat a metal screw.
Kristy and his four siblings had come from their home in Paris for a holiday with the couple at their eighth-floor flat in Hathaway Crescent, Manor Park.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 West Ham defender Coufal frustrated with Everton defeat
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
But the hosts became convinced their guests were practising ‘kindoki’ - African magic - and were using it to control another child of the family.
The pair inflicted a series of increasingly violent punishments, using weapons including a curtain rod and a weightlifting bar, jurors heard.
Bikubi admitted manslaughter with diminished responsibility due to suffering brain damage that led to delusions and hallucinations, while his lover denied any part in the attacks.
But both have been found guilty of murder following a month-long trial.
The jury took more than 26 hours to reach its verdicts.
Bikubi had already admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm against Kelly and the younger girl.
Bamu was convicted of identical actual bodily harm charges.
They will be sentenced on Monday.