Knitting East Ham pensioner stars in charity calendar for Hackney Hospice
An East Ham pensioner is starring as Knitty Nora in a 2013 charity calendar for a Hackeny hospice.
Lilian John, aged 90, who has been knitting since the age of nine, appears in the calendar for St Joseph’s in Mare Street, Hackney, as a ‘knitty Nora’ covered from head to toe in wool with her friend Arlene.
Lilian said: “I was the fastest knitter in my class at school and I always knitted for my husband, my kids and myself. I used to get paid a shilling an ounce by the local knitting shop.”
Other hospice patients feature in wrestling or motor racing scenes and on trips to exotic beaches. One even appears as Popeye, complete with tattoos, pipe and can of spinach.
The specially commissioned calendar was created by St Joseph’s arts co-ordinator Susannah Hewlett.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Patients chose a hobby, interest or setting for which we made props and costumes. Using digital photography I created visual scenes to place patients within. It’s a fun and easy way to provide people with a bit of escapism.”
The calendar, titled These Are a Few of My Favourite Things, is on sale in the St Joseph’s cafe or from the fundraising department, priced �5.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services