Knitting East Ham pensioner stars in charity calendar for Hackney Hospice
An East Ham pensioner is starring as Knitty Nora in a 2013 charity calendar for a Hackeny hospice.
Lilian John, aged 90, who has been knitting since the age of nine, appears in the calendar for St Joseph’s in Mare Street, Hackney, as a ‘knitty Nora’ covered from head to toe in wool with her friend Arlene.
Lilian said: “I was the fastest knitter in my class at school and I always knitted for my husband, my kids and myself. I used to get paid a shilling an ounce by the local knitting shop.”
Other hospice patients feature in wrestling or motor racing scenes and on trips to exotic beaches. One even appears as Popeye, complete with tattoos, pipe and can of spinach.
The specially commissioned calendar was created by St Joseph’s arts co-ordinator Susannah Hewlett.
She said: “Patients chose a hobby, interest or setting for which we made props and costumes. Using digital photography I created visual scenes to place patients within. It’s a fun and easy way to provide people with a bit of escapism.”
The calendar, titled These Are a Few of My Favourite Things, is on sale in the St Joseph’s cafe or from the fundraising department, priced �5.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 5 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing