Knife and gun crime discussed at youth conference
- Credit: Archant
Knife and gun crime were the topics of discussion at the second youth conference hosted by charity Community Links.
Almost 300 people attended Street Life 2 which included artistic performances and a panel discussion with guests including a member of Newham Metropolitan Police Service.
The conference at Stratford Circus, which was led by a steering group of young people from youth clubs and projects across the borough of Newham who are training to become mentors, aimed to encourage young people to devise their own solutions to youth crime and anti-social behaviour.
Participants discussed how the police, anti-crime services and young people can work better together, and the valuable role of youth workers in discouraging young people from crime.
Geraldine Blake, CEO of Community Links, said: “We all listened hard to the solutions and suggestions for change that came from young people and Community Links will be ensuring that these are shared with police, policymakers and local agencies.”
You may also want to watch:
Judy Marsden, Director of Philanthropy at CVC, which helped fund the event, said: “It’s fantastic to see such widespread willingness from young people to do something about this vital issue. The CVC Foundation is delighted to support the Street Life programme and this event which will help spread the word in the community.”
Tuesday’s conference built on a similar event attended by over 300 young people in 2012.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 7 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 10 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School