KFC diner ‘disgusted’ at finding dead fly in chicken wing
PUBLISHED: 09:35 21 August 2014 | UPDATED: 09:53 21 August 2014
A man was horrified to discover a dead fly in his Kentucky-fried chicken wing as his bit into his lunch.
Hardip Singh, 26, from East Ham, was eating in his local branch of KFC on August 12 when he spotted the winged insect in his food.
“I had just finished a gym session,” he said. “I went into my local KFC. I bought chicken wings with chips. I sat down and ate some wings. I bit into another wing and saw something black there. I thought it might be a corn or something.
“I looked into it and my friend said, ‘That’s a fly’.
“It definitely was a fly. It was big.
“I stopped eating it. My friend said, ‘Don’t kick up a fuss”. He’s a bit calmer than me.”
Mr Singh took the wing with the dead fly to the counter, and was offered some replacement food by a member of staff.
“I said I don’t really want to eat the chicken,” he said. “I’d rather have the money. Then she gave me a chicken fillet.
“That’s put me of KFC now forever. It’s very disgusting.
“You don’t know where that fly’s been.”
He added: “If I ate it I could have food poisoning, or worse. The whole chicken could be contaminated.
“I even said you might want to check all your wings.”
Fahad Masood, manager of East Ham KFC, said the store had apologised to Mr Singh, who is a regular customer.
He said: “This has not happened before. It’s not a normal fly. It’s a seasonal fly. I think it was on the breading somewhere.
“It might have even landed as he was walking from the counter.”
Mr Masood added: “We contact the pest control every week to avoid such incidents.”
A spokeswoman for KFC said: “We are very sorry to hear about Mr Singh’s experience and would like to reassure customers that our East Ham restaurant has a food hygiene rating of five out of five stars, meaning that the business was found to have very good hygiene standards.
“As soon we were made aware of the situation we apologised on the spot and offered a refund and a replacement meal.
“Mr Singh accepted an additional side in store and no complaint was made to our care line.” Read more:
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.