Kevin Jenkins, co-founder & senior advisor Community Links wants everyone to benefit from the regeneration of Newham
- Credit: Archant
I have been concerned for sometime now that the welcome and essential regeneration of Newham, which is focused very much on specific areas, could result in a two-tier Newham.
It could be those areas that have benefited from the new community infrastructure that regeneration brings and are spiralling upwards while those areas not benefiting risk becoming a forgotten area spiralling downwards.
The potential offered by the West Ham United site, located at the central heart of Newham, provides an excellent opportunity to balance out the regeneration that has so far in the main happened around the north west and southern parameter of the borough.
The site, especially when considered along with adjacent former Priory Road bus garage and the whole Queens Market site, has immense potential for the development of a new heart for Newham which compliments and enhances the progress made to date.
For once, there is ample time to consider all options with the new owners Galliard and for the community to be fully involved in every aspect of shaping their future, but more importantly, helping balance out regeneration across the whole of Newham.
The time is right for a real people’s plan for the future heart of Newham to begin to be put together.
The commitment and support of the community is in place, we need a similar commitment from Galliard, Newham Council and other key stakeholders to the production and active implementation of a peoples plan for central Newham.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
Hopefully, that commitment and action will be kick started by this article – I will keep you updated on progress.