Kevin Jenkins, co-founder, life-president Community Links is backing new Rathbone Market
- Credit: Archant
There has been a street market at Canning Town for over 200 years. In the ‘60s and ‘70s Rathbone Market was one of London’s leading street markets. Sadly in more recent times the market has declined, reduced in size and lost customers as Canning Town itself has experienced immense change. However, the decline has been halted and Rathbone is now entering a new phase of growth and development.
A new market square able to accommodate over 50 stalls has been created in the new Canning Town centre and Community Links have won the opportunity to manage and develop the new Rathbone in to the future. Links is determined to bring the best of community and commerce together to create a market of choice for local people and a market destination for people outside the area.
The market opens every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 8am to 3pm offering a wide variety of stalls selling everything from eggs and pet food to retro costumes and new stalls are being added every week.
The market is determined to offer all customers quality goods and healthy products at reasonable prices.
The market’s training stall will be helping local young people to become market traders and our ‘good cause’ stall will be giving local charities the opportunity to raise much needed funding for their causes.
A rolling programme of activities, attractions, entertainments, information stalls and displays alongside the regular stalls will ensure a great day out for everyone, including the children, so why not give the new Rathbone a try soon.
Links are determined to ensure that the market both meets the needs of the local people and involves them in the regeneration of Rathbone.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 4 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 5 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 6 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 7 Free waffles for first customers at Royal Wharf Creams Café
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
If you are -
a. A local resident or you work in the Canning Town area, please come along and try the market and tell us what you think.
b. You are a local resident and/or work in the area and don’t currently use the market, let us know why.
c. A trader and would like a stall.
d. A young person interested in becoming a market trader.
e. A local charity and would like to use our ‘good cause’ stall.
Please get in touch.
Together we can once again make Rathbone one of London’s leading street markets. More from Kevin