Keeping Newham safe from fireworks and frights
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters and members of the council’s trading standards team will be visiting shops to ensure fireworks are not sold to people under 18.
The visits to the 24 stores, and subsequent test purchases, are part of a partnership campaign to ensure Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night remain a treat.
Last year, all the licensed firework retailers passed test purchases.
Over the next two weekends, patrols will be carried out around anti-social behaviour hotspots to crack down on any inappropriate or dangerous behaviour.
The council’s noise nuisance team will be on hand to respond to complaints about people causing a disturbance.
You may also want to watch:
The fire brigade and the council’s street cleansing team will also be checking locations of potential bonfires and clearing away anything in the borough’s streets and open spaces that may pose a hazard.
Cllr Unmesh Desai, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “The next two weekends are meant to be about fun and enjoyment, but sometimes the actions of a small minority of people can ruin this for the whole community.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“Together with our partners in the police and fire brigade we will be working hard to prevent this from happening.
“We want Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night to be memorable for all the right reasons.”
Rhys Powell, London Fire Brigade borough commander for Newham, added: “The safest way to enjoy this holiday season is to leave the fireworks to the experts and go along to a professional display like the council’s Guy Fawkes Night event in Wanstead Flats on Sunday where you can enjoy the spectacle from a safe distance.”