Kayakers taking on Devizes to Westminster race for Beckton hospice
- Credit: Tom Morton
Two international kayakers are set to paddle from Wiltshire to Westminster to raise funds for a Beckton hospice.
Leanne Brown and Aaron Jordan will take part in the 125 mile Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race this Easter in support of Richard House Children’s Hospice.
While Leanne, 26, and Aaron, 24, have been kayaking since they were just eight years old, this is the first time they have attempted such a long distance.
“Aaron and I both compete nationally and internationally throughout the year, but we’ve never done an event as far as this one,” said Leanne, who lives in Barking.
“It’s a big challenge and I hope we can live up to it, especially as we are doing it for a children’s hospice.”
Former junior world sprint champion Leanne has competed in both short and long-distance kayaking, while Aaron, from Rainham in Kent, has competed at the Marathon World Championships.
Their support of the hospice goes back several years to when Leanne visited to donate toys.
- 1 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 2 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 3 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 4 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 5 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Donor appeal as East Ham man needs second kidney transplant
- 8 West Ham boss Moyes disappointed by Leeds defeat
- 9 Tributes to 'much-loved' Stratford theatre worker Harvey Parker
- 10 Flat above garage damaged in Manor Park fire
She said: “I instantly realised what a great life it gives children who are unwell and provides them with as much care as they need.”
To sponsor Leanne and Aaron, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/LeanneAaronDW