Kayakers taking on Devizes to Westminster race for Beckton hospice
- Credit: Tom Morton
Two international kayakers are set to paddle from Wiltshire to Westminster to raise funds for a Beckton hospice.
Leanne Brown and Aaron Jordan will take part in the 125 mile Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race this Easter in support of Richard House Children’s Hospice.
While Leanne, 26, and Aaron, 24, have been kayaking since they were just eight years old, this is the first time they have attempted such a long distance.
“Aaron and I both compete nationally and internationally throughout the year, but we’ve never done an event as far as this one,” said Leanne, who lives in Barking.
“It’s a big challenge and I hope we can live up to it, especially as we are doing it for a children’s hospice.”
You may also want to watch:
Former junior world sprint champion Leanne has competed in both short and long-distance kayaking, while Aaron, from Rainham in Kent, has competed at the Marathon World Championships.
Their support of the hospice goes back several years to when Leanne visited to donate toys.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
She said: “I instantly realised what a great life it gives children who are unwell and provides them with as much care as they need.”
To sponsor Leanne and Aaron, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/LeanneAaronDW