Jolly hoppy sips! Hockey club brews up new business venture
- Credit: Wapping Hockey Club
Hockey doesn’t usually conjure up images of an east London boozer serving craft ale, but all that is about to change.
Wapping Hockey Club, which calls the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park home, have teamed up with Brentwood Brewing Company to create three beers in celebration of their finest season yet.
Fans can order Wapping Hoppy, Wapping Gold and Wapping Cape on draught or by the bottle at seven different venues, including the hockey centre bar.
The beers will also be served at events organised by England Hockey.
Club chairman Stuart Burnside said: “It’s quite a nice way for locals to show their support for the club. They can do that by choosing our pint instead of another.”
The beers are a way for the club to continue to gain financial support and pursue its goals to further expand, said Stuart, with a view to securing sponsors.
He added: “What I wanted to try and do is find a way for us to run more as a business so that we are sustainable without relying on donations.”
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
The club became an anchor tenant at the Olympic facility last year.
Access to some of the best pitches in the country saw the club secure eight promotions and a nomination as the best club in England during the ensuing season – its most successful ever.
For more information on Wapping Hockey Club, visit wappinghockeyclub.com or follow @TheHockeyBeer for more information on the clubs new brews.