Jack’s the lad to make it to finals
WEST HAM’S Jack Malik is looking to earn a place in the ABA Novices National Championship finals, which will now take place at the Elmbridge Centre, Forest Road, Hainault, on Sunday January 23.
Earlier plans to stage the finals at the Dagenham Park Leisure Centre, on December 11, fell victim to the sub-zero temperatures which forced the cancellation of two sets of semi-finals a week earlier.
Travel problems meant that both the southern semi-finals, arranged for Peterborough and the northern area semis, set to take place in Liverpool, were both called off – so obviously the finals could not take place as arranged.
East Ham BC entry Mike Amoobediako is another local boxer chasing success in the tournament after his good win over St Albans rival Jay Raval sent him through the Class A 60kg quarter-finals.
Competition for titles will be keen with some of the top prospects in the country in action at the new venue, which was confirmed this week.
The new date will mean that both sets of semi-finals are now scheduled to take place earlier in the month, the planned date is January 9.
Malik and Amoobediako get their chance to progress through the southern semi-finals at The Focus Centre, Peterborough, while the northern area tournament takes place at Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire.
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 3 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
The new dates add extra pressure on boxing clubs during a busy January when many will have lengthy entry lists of boys launching their campaigns in the National Schoolboys’ Championships.
These start for local clubs at the North East London Schools ABA’s on Sunday, January 16, at the Elmbridge Centre, with winners moving on to further rounds the following weekend.
The novices finals were confirmed this week for the Elmbridge Centre, with the weigh-in taking place from 10-12 noon and boxing starting at 1.00pm.