Italian artist creates Forest Gate station mural
- Credit: Archant
Commuters can now feast their eyes as they wait for the train at Forest Gate station after an Italian street artist left his mark with a vibrant mural on surrounding brick walls.
The station, which sits on the Liverpool St to Shenfield line, has become the first to be transformed as part of an ongoing initiative organised by Crossrail operators MTR Crossrail, who operate the line on behalf of Transport for London (TfL) Rail.
The result is “Meanwhile” by Italian urban artist Bifido, who created the life-like surrealist work on platform four with paper, tiles and glue using the “paste-up” technique.
Perspectives are skewed as we see a giant snail, a woman serving tea in a giant cup and nearly falling into it alongside a tree man losing his leaves which then turn into butterflies in the stomach of another.
It took Bifido, who preferred not to disclose his real name, and his team just two days to complete the mural. He said: “This was my first time in London, and I had a very good time.
You may also want to watch:
“I found the people in Forest Gate very kind and I hope that travellers think about how they spend their time when looking at my work. The wall was made with paste up technique and I did the pictures in my studio, then I printed and pasted them on the wall.”
A statement about the art reveals it “looks at the spectator waiting for his train; an everyday repetitive sense of wait clashes with the speed of the train. Wait and speed are the concepts at the core of this eclectic narrative; they combine and relate in an oxymoronic way.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
Visit bifido.it for more.