Iron end Orient’s hot streak

Leyton Orient 1 Scunthorpe United 3

A second-half horror show saw Orient concede three times to struggling Scunthorpe and bring an abrupt end to a run of eight consecutive victories.

After a an abject first 45 minutes, the Iron shocked their hosts with goals from Christian Ribeiro, ex-O Andy Barcham and Damien Mozika, as Kevin Lisbie’s debatable penalty proved scant consolation.

Russell Slade named an unchanged line-up from the side that started the 2-0 win at Bury last weekend.

Scunthorpe, inside the relegation zone before kick-off, picked a five man midfield in an effort to stifle the home team’s creativity and the supply-line to in-form forward pair Lisbie and David Mooney.

In a game that was severely slow to get going the visitors had the first sight at goal on 34 minutes when Jimmy Ryan’s 25-yard pot-shot crept narrowly over the crossbar.

Five minutes later and a mazy run from Lee Cook on the right flank finished with the winger scuffing a left-foot shot wide of the near post, but at last the home supporters got a glimpse of why their heroes have returned from a long succession of away matches – six of the last seven – triumphant.

Most Read

It took 44 minutes for either side to register the first effort on target – the Iron’s Mark Duffy struck straight at Ryan Allsop from 15 yards – but the half-time oranges finally sparked the players into life.

The O’s flew out of the traps and came close to opening the scoring when Dean Cox’s firm effort grazed the outside of a post.

Chances for Lisbie, Mooney and right-back Moses Odubajo soon followed, but the trio were all unable to sufficiently test Scunthorpe goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall.

For all of Orient’s dominance it was Brian Laws’ visitors who took the lead against the run of play on 61 minutes.

Right-back Ribeiro burst into the box and squeezed a cheeky low near-post shot past Allsop, from the tightest of angles.

And eight minutes later Scunthorpe were seemingly home and dry as Duffy slid a clever free-kick through to Barcham, who finished first time past Allsop.

With a new lease of life the visitors continued to pile forwards. Barcham was denied a second on his old stomping ground by the woodwork, when his brilliantly executed volley crashed back off the crossbar.

On 78 minutes the home fans at last had something to cheer. Ribeiro was adjudged to have handled inside the box and impede Mooney’s forward run in the process, leading referee Darren Deadman to point to the spot.

Lisbie needed no second invitation to halve the deficit from 12 yards and claim his sixth goal in five games.

But no sooner had Orient’s fans begun to believe they were back in the match, Scunthorpe struck to kill the game off.

Mozika got a toe on Barcham’s flick-on and his shot deflected past the helpless Allsop to seal a priceless three points for the away side.

Leyton Orient: Allsop, Odubajo, Baudry, Chorley, Sawyer, Cox, Rowlands (A Smith 79), James, Cook (McSweeney 70), Mooney, Lisbie (Brunt 90).

Subs not used: Jones, Cuthbert, Griffith, J Smith.

Scunthorpe: Mildenhall, Ribeiro, Reid, Canavan, Newey, Duffy, Ryan (Djeziri 87), Mozika, Collins, Barcham, Hawley.

Subs not used: Slocombe, Kennedy, Grella, Gibbons, Godden, McChrystal.

Attendance: 4,942 (including 341 away supporters).