Investigation promised into London Pleasure Gardens festival chaos
The London Pleasure Gardens has promised a ‘complex investigation’ after a disastrous first two weekends.
Thousands of people were turned away from the Bloc festival at its Royal Docks site on July 7 because of overcrowding and health and safety fears.
US rapper Snoop Dogg was set to headline the sell-out event.
This led to the collapse of Baselogic, the company behind Bloc for the last five years.
It went into administration last week leaving ticketholders in the dark over securing refunds.
You may also want to watch:
And the first weekend was hit by a two-hour delay and complaints from festival-goers about dust and disorganisation - with no actual ‘gardens’ in sight.
A spokesman for LPG said: “It would be irresponsible for us to issue any full and transparent statement before our complex investigation is complete.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Commission set up to explore future of special needs provision in Newham
- 7 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 10 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
“We take on responsibility of diligently investigating the events on July 7 and issuing a full statement when we’re in a position to do so.”
The spokesman said its forthcoming events, including the BT River of Music this weekend, will go ahead as normal.
But LPG will now no longer use the Crowdsurge ticketing system.
Planning permission for the site was granted by Newham Council in February last year and the authority agreed to loan �3.1million to the organisers to make the event possible.
At a meeting of full council in February, officers said the council was expected to recoup profits from festivals held on the site.
The report outlined: “In the worst case if the loan were not to be repaid then the value of the loan...would need to be written off against revenue bad debt provisions at the point when it was deemed to be irrecoverable.
“In the best case the loan would be repaid with interest and a share of the profits.”
The agreement covers the cost of renting the site for the next three years. It will be open every weekend from now until the Olympics, after which it will be open to the public every day for the duration of the Games.