International stars take the the skies
West Ham United’s international contingent will clock up the air miles this week.
The club have six players jetting off to all corners of the world to represent their respective countries – with some set to return with barely enough time to train before the Hammers’ next match against Southampton on Saturday, October 20.
Andy Carroll is in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for the Three Lions’ two World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland.
Guy Demel and Mohamed Diame could face one another when Senegal host Ivory Coast in a vital African Cup of Nations qualifier, with the Ivorians 4-2 up from the first leg.
Modibo Maiga is in the Mali squad for their qualification match in Botswana – Maiga’s men hold a 3-0 advantage from the first leg, in which the West Ham forward was on target.
You may also want to watch:
West Ham youngster Kieran Sadlier has been selected for the Republic of Ireland squad for their Under-19 Championship qualifying round mini-group in Luxembourg, which takes place from October 11-16.
Ireland will face hosts Luxembourg, followed by FYR Macedonia and Germany.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Goalkeeper Raphael Spiegel has been included by Switzerland for their under-20s friendly with Poland.
Academy midfielder Taylor Tombides recently appeared for Australia at the AFC under-16 Championship in Iran.
However, the Australian’s hopes of reaching the next Under-17 World Cup were dashed by a 5-1 quarter-final defeat to the host nation in Tehran.