International entertainer Kenny Lynch returns to Newham with one-off show tonight
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
One of Newham’s most famous sons is returning to the borough tonight for a free performance at a venue just yards from where his career began.
International singer, songwriter, actor and comic Kenny Lynch will be at the new A13 Green performance space beneath Canning Town flyover for a special one-off show.
The village green close to Terry Spinks Place will also see a performance from youngsters on Newham’s Every Child a Musician programme and acts from O’Farrell’s Stage School.
Kenny grew up in Custom House and made his first steps to fame on the stage at the Old Town Hall in Stratford. A run of UK hit singles led to a career as a songwriter, penning hits for the likes of Cilla Black, the Everly Brothers and the Small Faces.
He went on to appear in dozens of prime-time TV shows including The Sweeney and Til Death Us Do Part.
You may also want to watch:
Kenny said: “I’m going back to my roots’ doing the kind of music that I began with, just a few hundred yards from where I did my first rehearsals.
“I knew Terry Spinks well, he was a great boxer and a good friend of mine and it’s a wonderful gesture that he has been remembered.
- 1 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 2 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 3 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 4 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 5 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 6 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 7 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
“Peggy O’Farrell’s stage school was where I started out so I have a lot of happy memories. It’s going to be a great night.”
The night of music and family entertainment, called ‘Made in Newham’, runs from 6pm until 10pm on August 30.