Inside Parliament: West Ham MP Lyn Brown- Mum’s cancer legacy is for me to fight on
Losing mum suddenly and unexpectedly to cancer, 18 months ago, was a huge shock and left a massive gap in my life. The pain lessens in its intensity, but I still miss her so much.
When MacMillan, the cancer charity, asked me to support their World’s Biggest Coffee Morning fundraising event, I seized the chance to do something practical and useful in mum’s memory.
Instead of visiting coffee mornings to eat cakes, I decided to bake and sell them myself. And bake I did: about a dozen cakes, supplemented by my good friend Sarah Ruiz and Helen Page with Newham’s W.I. We raised almost �900. I was delighted, but want to do even better next year.
In the UK, 2,000,000 people currently live with cancer and our diagnosis, treatment and mortality rates compare poorly with other countries. Survival rates are up, but the NHS needs continued investment to maintain the momentum.London-wide, 112 cancer-sufferers die per 100,000 cases. In Newham, that figure rises to 123. Our five-year survival rate for women with breast cancer is 75 per cent. The UK average is 83.4 per cent. Newham’s take-up of breast cancer screening is poor, 50 per against 74 per cent nationally, and partially explains these terrible figures. We must take responsibility for ourselves, use screening and see a doctor early, when something may be wrong.
Cancer already affects one-in-three people. I want that number reduced by early detection and every patient having the very best treatment, including cutting edge therapy. Figures and survival rates tell worrying tales we cannot ignore but each statistic is a real person suffering real pain. Their death is a real loss.
You may also want to watch:
When it comes to cancer and health care, every life lost is one too many. Everyone in Newham deserves the very best cancer care. I intend to make my voice heard until we get it.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation