Inside Parliament: The centre of London is moving east..we must build for future
Come and join us at an important event
Today’s Inside Parliament column looks at how the centre of London is moving East. Stephen Timms, MP for East Ham, highlights an inportant jobs fair tomorrow.
The whole world has been enthralled by events in East London this summer. The centre of London is moving East. It has helped ensure there will be a lot more opportunities in East London in the future than there were in the past. Now we must build on the Games’ success, and make sure local residents – young people growing up locally, and older people too – benefit from a full share of the opportunities. And we have a lot to do.
Tomorrow, September 14, Lyn Brown and I will hold our first Jobs and Apprenticeships Fair, at the West Ham ground at the bottom of Green Street, from 10 am to 4 pm. West Ham United has given us the space free. Newham College has helped with publicity and Testhouse Ltd of Stratford has given a grant. A wide range of companies will present job opportunities, including: Buhler Sortex, Crossrail, EDF, Everything Everywhere, Greggs, John Lewis Stratford, Lloyds Bank, London City Airport, McDonalds and Siemens.
Alpha Building Services and Engineering and BeOnsite will be there offering apprenticeships in fields like construction, plumbing, and electrics. Current apprentices at communications giant BT will be present to discuss their experiences. For general information, for example about how to apply, the National Apprenticeship Service will also attend.
You may also want to watch:
Newham Council’s Workplace and JobCentre Plus are supporting the Fair and will both be there. And The Prince’s Trust – experts at helping young people not in employment, education or training. You will also be able to discuss employment and enterprise programmes with Community Links, and sign up on the day for a CV advice session from 12:30 pm.
We hope there’s something for everyone looking for a job. If you think something is missing, please let us know for next time! We hope to see you there.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election