Inside Parliament: The centre of London is moving east..we must build for future
Come and join us at an important event
Today’s Inside Parliament column looks at how the centre of London is moving East. Stephen Timms, MP for East Ham, highlights an inportant jobs fair tomorrow.
The whole world has been enthralled by events in East London this summer. The centre of London is moving East. It has helped ensure there will be a lot more opportunities in East London in the future than there were in the past. Now we must build on the Games’ success, and make sure local residents – young people growing up locally, and older people too – benefit from a full share of the opportunities. And we have a lot to do.
Tomorrow, September 14, Lyn Brown and I will hold our first Jobs and Apprenticeships Fair, at the West Ham ground at the bottom of Green Street, from 10 am to 4 pm. West Ham United has given us the space free. Newham College has helped with publicity and Testhouse Ltd of Stratford has given a grant. A wide range of companies will present job opportunities, including: Buhler Sortex, Crossrail, EDF, Everything Everywhere, Greggs, John Lewis Stratford, Lloyds Bank, London City Airport, McDonalds and Siemens.
Alpha Building Services and Engineering and BeOnsite will be there offering apprenticeships in fields like construction, plumbing, and electrics. Current apprentices at communications giant BT will be present to discuss their experiences. For general information, for example about how to apply, the National Apprenticeship Service will also attend.
You may also want to watch:
Newham Council’s Workplace and JobCentre Plus are supporting the Fair and will both be there. And The Prince’s Trust – experts at helping young people not in employment, education or training. You will also be able to discuss employment and enterprise programmes with Community Links, and sign up on the day for a CV advice session from 12:30 pm.
We hope there’s something for everyone looking for a job. If you think something is missing, please let us know for next time! We hope to see you there.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham