In pictures: Big Mayday East End Scooter Festival in East Ham
- Credit: Archant
The streets were gleaming with shining scooters on the hottest day of the year so far as hundreds parked up for the Big Mayday East End Scooter Festival.
More than 500 self-confessed Mods and scooting enthusiasts were estimated to have turned up to ride together and compare around 250 scooters yesterday at the Central Hotel on Barking Road, East Ham.
Organiser Gary Firmager has been riding scooters since the late 70s.
He said: “It was a fantastic day out and one of the best festivals in east London’s history since the ‘60s.
“Everyone enjoyed the music and the sunshine really made it.
“We had people from as far away as Newcastle and Grimsby come down for it, one bloke flew in from Holland, and another from the Costa del Sol.”
Four bands - The Weller Collective, The Mannequins, The Astronauts, and P45 - also entertained the crowds with their sun-splashed reggae tunes.
- 1 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 2 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 8 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 9 Newham residents urged to shop local on Small Business Saturday
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
To see more pictures from the festival by photographer Ellie Hoskins, click on the link on the right hand side bar.