In pictures: Big Mayday East End Scooter Festival in East Ham
- Credit: Archant
The streets were gleaming with shining scooters on the hottest day of the year so far as hundreds parked up for the Big Mayday East End Scooter Festival.
More than 500 self-confessed Mods and scooting enthusiasts were estimated to have turned up to ride together and compare around 250 scooters yesterday at the Central Hotel on Barking Road, East Ham.
Organiser Gary Firmager has been riding scooters since the late 70s.
He said: “It was a fantastic day out and one of the best festivals in east London’s history since the ‘60s.
“Everyone enjoyed the music and the sunshine really made it.
You may also want to watch:
“We had people from as far away as Newcastle and Grimsby come down for it, one bloke flew in from Holland, and another from the Costa del Sol.”
Four bands - The Weller Collective, The Mannequins, The Astronauts, and P45 - also entertained the crowds with their sun-splashed reggae tunes.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 10 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
To see more pictures from the festival by photographer Ellie Hoskins, click on the link on the right hand side bar.