Idris Elba collects OBE at Buckingham Palace ceremony
- Credit: PA WIRE
Former Canning Town schoolboy turned Hollywood actor Idris Elba has collected his OBE – and made his mum ‘very happy’.
The 43-year-old was joined by his mum, Eve, for today’s ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
The star took to Twitter this morning to post a picture of himself in a suit, following it up with a family snap outside the palace.
Elba, who was born in Newham, was made an OBE in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours for services to acting.
He said at the time: said: “Awards and honours come in all shapes and sizes and all as significant as the other.
You may also want to watch:
“But this is beyond special as it comes from Queen and country, and I couldn’t be more proud for receiving this right now.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate