Hundreds fined across Newham for spitting in public
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people across the borough have been forced to pay fines for spitting in a public place.
Altogether, a total of 634 people have been fined £80 after they were caught spitting in public streets by Newham Council’s enforcement officers.
Councillor Ian Corbett, mayoral advisor for environment and leisure, said: “Spitting is an unhygienic and anti-social act which our residents should not have to witness or walk through.
“We began issuing fines in response to complaints from residents and we consider that spitting is as disgusting as dropping litter or fly tipping on our streets.
“By issuing these £80 fines we are sending out a strong message that this horrible behaviour will not be tolerated in the borough.”
You may also want to watch:
In 2011, Newham became the first borough in London to ban spitting in public after receiving complaints from residents.
All London boroughs now have the power to fine people £80 for spitting in public.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
This can be reduced to £50 if paid within 14 days.