Housing developers eyeing up first plots at 2012 park
The first plots at Stratford’s Olympic Park are being made available to homes developers.
It is, said London Mayor Boris Johnson, a major opportunity to create one of several new planned neighbourhoods in the post-Games Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, writes Pat Coughtrey.
From April, developers can bid to build up to 800 homes in the “picturesque” area sitting between the VeloPark and the Athletes’ Village in the north-east of the Park.
The development will be a mixture of flats, mews houses and town houses with 60 per cent providing “family” houses.
The neighbourhood, which will be developed from 2013, will be centred around 3,000 sq metres of community and ancillary facilities including a polyclinic, two nurseries and a community centre with families served by Chobham Academy School, which will open as part of the 2,800-unit Olympic Village.
You may also want to watch:
It will be the first of five new neighbourhoods in the future Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park over the next 20 years, a mini-town of up to 8,000 new homes – more than a third deemed affordable housing.
Mr Johnson said the Olympic Park with its world-class sporting venues is already changing the landscape of East London while news of the land sale signals the dawn of creating a brand new district.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election