House prices in Newham ‘rising faster than anywhere in London’
- Credit: Archant
House prices in Newham increased at the fifth fastest rate of any area in the country last year, research by Halifax has shown.
The average house in Newham cost £37,344 more in 2017 than in 2016, constituting a 10.2 per cent price increase.
The average home in Newham now costs £402,781.
Newham is the London borough that experienced the sharpest price rise and the only borough featuring in the top ten price growth areas.
Barnet, in north London, is the borough that experienced the second highest price increases last year in London with an increase of 7.7 pc. This places Barnet, where the average home costs £584,049, joint 15th nationally.
You may also want to watch:
Cheltenham, in south-west England, is the place where prices are increasing most rapidly. Last year they increased 13 pc.
Newham’s drastic price increase is a contrast to neighbouring Tower Hamlets, where prices went up a mere 0.3 pc.
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 3 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens music studio in Canning Town
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 8 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs