Honour the fallen in verse
THE Recorder is once again joining forces with the Royal British Legion to give local people the chance to show their talents, pay tribute to those who gave their lives in battle so we can enjoy the freedom we do now...and win a prize in our annual poetry competition.
To mark Remembrance Sunday on November 14, we want talented writers to compose a poem about the fallen of both World Wars and other conflicts.
The inaugural competition in 2003 was a great success, as were the subsequent years. We hope you will be inspired again. Writers of the two best short poems in the 16 and under and adults age groups will receive Tesco gift tokens to the value of �50 and �25 from the Recorder. More importantly, the younger winners will have the chance to read their poems out in public. You have until November 1 to submit entries to Remembrance Sunday Poetry Competition, The Editor,Colin Grainger, Recorder Newspapers, Media House, 539 High Road, Ilford, Essex 1G1 1UD, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are details of main services on November 14: East Ham District branch and Manor Park RBL will meet at East Ham Town Hall at 10am for a 10.30am marchg to Central Park for a service led by RBL Padre Fred Ashford at the Cenotaph.
North Woolwich/Silvertown will meet at the Royal British Legion Club, 14 Constance Street, Silvertown, at 10am for 10-15am and march to St Marks Church for an 11am service.
You may also want to watch:
South West Ham branch will meet at the St Lukes centre in Tarling Road at 10.45am and will hold their service at the nearby war memorial.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020