Homelessness risk in Newham is the highest in London
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The risk of losing your home in Newham is the highest in London.
One in 36 families in the borough are at danger of eviction or repossession, according to new analysis from homeless charity Shelter.
Barking and Dagenham had the second highest rate (one in 38), jointly followed by Haringey and Southwark (one in 42).
Shelter has warned that high housing costs are resulting in more families having little or no savings to fall back up, meaning that one thing, like a sudden illness, can be all it takes to tip a family towards losing their home.
It comes as the charity has asked people to support its emergency Christmas appeal to help those fighting homelessness over the festive season.
You may also want to watch:
Campbell Robb, Shelter’s chief executive, said: “Imagine the panic of receiving a notice through the door saying that you could lose your home - that’s the devastating reality for thousands of people very week.”
To support the appeal, visit shelter.org.uk or text SHELTER to 70060 to donate £3.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 10 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford