Homelessness risk in Newham is the highest in London
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The risk of losing your home in Newham is the highest in London.
One in 36 families in the borough are at danger of eviction or repossession, according to new analysis from homeless charity Shelter.
Barking and Dagenham had the second highest rate (one in 38), jointly followed by Haringey and Southwark (one in 42).
Shelter has warned that high housing costs are resulting in more families having little or no savings to fall back up, meaning that one thing, like a sudden illness, can be all it takes to tip a family towards losing their home.
It comes as the charity has asked people to support its emergency Christmas appeal to help those fighting homelessness over the festive season.
You may also want to watch:
Campbell Robb, Shelter’s chief executive, said: “Imagine the panic of receiving a notice through the door saying that you could lose your home - that’s the devastating reality for thousands of people very week.”
To support the appeal, visit shelter.org.uk or text SHELTER to 70060 to donate £3.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 8 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines