Hollywood pair Ejiofor and Elba to represent Newham at BAFTAS tonight
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Newham’s Hollywood pairing will be looking to take home some one of the biggest prizes in the British film industry tonight at the 2014 BAFTA Awards ceremony.
Former Forest Gate resident Chiwetel Ejiofor could pick up the coveted Best Leading Actor gong for his role in 12 Years A Slave – a performance that also earned him an Oscar nomination.
The film, an adaptation of Solomon Northup’s 1853 autobiography, has been nominated in ten categories, including Best Film.
He is no stranger to the BAFTA red carpet, having been nominated in the Orange Rising Star category in 2006.
Idris Elba’s portrayal of Nelson Mandela in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom has earned a nomination for Outstanding British Film.
You may also want to watch:
He grew up in East Ham and went to school in Canning Town before making his name in television shows Luther and The Wire.
Hosted by Stephen Fry, the star-studded event takes place at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, and will be broadcast on BBC One.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 7 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 8 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 9 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber