Hollywood pair Ejiofor and Elba to represent Newham at BAFTAS tonight
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Newham’s Hollywood pairing will be looking to take home some one of the biggest prizes in the British film industry tonight at the 2014 BAFTA Awards ceremony.
Former Forest Gate resident Chiwetel Ejiofor could pick up the coveted Best Leading Actor gong for his role in 12 Years A Slave – a performance that also earned him an Oscar nomination.
The film, an adaptation of Solomon Northup’s 1853 autobiography, has been nominated in ten categories, including Best Film.
He is no stranger to the BAFTA red carpet, having been nominated in the Orange Rising Star category in 2006.
Idris Elba’s portrayal of Nelson Mandela in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom has earned a nomination for Outstanding British Film.
You may also want to watch:
He grew up in East Ham and went to school in Canning Town before making his name in television shows Luther and The Wire.
Hosted by Stephen Fry, the star-studded event takes place at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, and will be broadcast on BBC One.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 8 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 9 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season