HMV’s Stratford and Beckton stores spared the axe
HMV stores in Stratford and Beckton have been spared the axe, bosses have confirmed.
The troubled retailer is set to close up to 40 UK stores this year as it struggles to cope with the economic downturn.
The first wave of branches closed earlier this month and more are set to follow. The Ilford store is due to close today.
HMV spokesman Gennaro Castaldo confirmed there were no immediate plans to close the two Newham stores.
He said: “We have identified some stores that closed last week and obviously there will be a few more over the coming weeks.
You may also want to watch:
“We are looking at stores where we duplicate our offering locally. This in no way signals any retreat from the high street.
“There are no immediate plans for announcements in relation to the Stratford and Beckton branches. But that doesn’t mean they may not be reviewed at some point. We can’t rule anything out categorically.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford