Historic Three Mills at Stratford wins �2.65m restoration grant
RESTORATION of the Grade I-listed House Mill, a flour mill of international importance and perched on the edge of the Olympic Park at Stratford, has been assured following a �2.65m award from the Heritage Lottery
An initial development grant of �248,000 has been awarded to help the River Lea Tidal Mill Trust progress their plans, which include restoring the mill, its neighbour Miller’s House, and creating a self-sustaining and vibrant visitor centre around the history of this “industrial gem”.
The restoration project, run in conjunction with the Waterways Trust, is expected to take 18 months to complete and forms part of a wider regeneration scheme for the Thames Gateway development area.
It will marry heritage conservation with new renewable energy production technologies to create a sustainable visitor attraction with wider community benefits. The Trust aims to incorporate hydro electricity production using the restored waterwheels and additional turbines, which will boost income at the site and provide a key educational hook for learning about the milling process for visitors.
The refurbished mill will create many volunteer opportunities and offer workshops teaching traditional skills such as metal work, carpentry and hand milling. There will be stronger links made with local schools and training opportunities for adults.
You may also want to watch:
John Haggerty, Trust Chairman said: “It has taken a long time to get here; we have had many disappointments over the years but now we can progress this project.”
* Dating back to 1776, House Mill is one of the most important historic buildings in East London surviving today and on English Heritage’s At Risk Register. It is the largest remaining tidal mill in the world.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation