Hero Sir Geoff made UEL arts master
ENGLAND and West Ham footballing legend Sir Geoff Hurst pictured after being conferred with an honorary degree by the University of East London.
The hat-trick World Cup hero of 1966, he received an honorary Master of the Arts.
Sir Geoff told guests at the ceremony last week: “I am tremendously proud to have had this award. Many of you will be familiar with my long-standing connections to the local area from where many UEL students are drawn.
But rather than looking back he said it is a fitting that UEL is rising to meet the challenge of ensuring that sporting excellence is kept firmly on the map with its plans for a �20m sports centre.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Patrick McGhee said: “We are extremely proud to be honouring one of England’s greatest sporting heroes. Sir Geoff is an iconic figure who will always have a unique place in football history. “
You may also want to watch:
He praised Sir Geoff’s selflessly dedication to supporting children’s health research charities.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election