Hero’s welcome at Upton Park for Jonjo Heuerman after Wembley walk
Heroic Hammer Jonjo Heuerman completed his mammoth 23-mile walk for the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK on Saturday - and is ready to do it again.
More than 150 people accompanied at various points him on the fundraiser, which started after Sir Trevor Brooking and Stephanie Moore waved him off from Wembley Stadium last Thursday.
He returned to a hero’s welcome at West Ham United’s Upton Park stadium just before the Championship game with Crystal Palace.
Early estimates indicate Jonjo, 10. has now raised a total of �55,000 for the fund. His walk, first held last year, was completed in memory of the former England captain and his grandmother, Lyn.
His proud mother Donna said his achievements only sunk in when they reached Bobby Moore’s statue at Upton Park.
She said: “I started shaking with emotion at the thought of how we got to this point again.
“There were some amazing stories from the people who came with us. We had one fan who had two strokes, a QPR supporter who walked barefoot the whole way, and a man with a heart condition.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 3 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
“My friend, who is a West Ham fan, saw a young man walking up and down outside Upton Park last week. He said he came from Ukraine to walk with Jonjo. My friend took him in.”
Mrs Heuerman said they were hopeful of raising close to �60,000 once all the pledges and donated cash was taken into account.
She added: “They were still trying to pick up all the money from Upton Park.
“There is an awful lot of interest in walking next year. Jonjo woke up this morning and said “can we do it again?
“I said no, I’m still aching.”
To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/fornannyandbobby or visit www.fornannyandbobby.moonfruit.com