Help for residents trying to quit smoking at East Ham service
A new service to help residents kick the smoking habit will be opening in East Ham this month.
The stop smoking service will be based at East Ham Customer Service Centre and Library from September 6. A team of specialist advisors will be available on the day, in the library from 9.30 to 3pm.
Local people will have the opportunity to sign up for weekly support to quit smoking and can attend drop in sessions every Saturday from 9.30 to 12.30.
The sessions will offer free one-to-one support along with advice about nicotine replacement products and other stop smoking medicines.
Thousands have already kicked the habit using Newham’s Stop Smoking Service since it started more than ten years ago. Studies show that people are four times more likely to quit with tailored help and support.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Clive Furness, executive member for health at Newham Council, said: “A regular smoker can spend thousands of pounds on cigarettes every year, and quitting not only reduces the likelihood of them suffering serious illness and premature death, but can protect family members too. Providing this service will help more residents to stop smoking and contribute towards the overall health of our community.”
As well as the new service in the East Ham Customer Service Centre, residents can also get advice and support by visiting other Stop Smoking Services at local pharmacies, GPs and two drop-ins at St. John’s Church in Stratford, and the Macmillan Information Centre at Newham University Hospital.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
For full details of services available in Newham, visit newham.gov.uk/stopsmoking or call 020 3373 6630.