Helicopter show arrives in Custom House, days after arms fair
- Credit: Archant
Just days after the end of the arms fair an international helicopter exhibition opens today at the ExCeL exhibition centre.
Helitech International,run by Reed Exhibitions, will be staged at the Custom House venue for the first time over three days from September 24 to 26. Although it is designed as a predominantly civilian, business to business show, anti-war campaigners have pointed out that many helicopter manufacturers at the show also produce military aircraft.
ExCeL recently hosted the biennial Defence and Security Equipment International exhibition from September 10 to 13 and attracted opposition from protestors who staged demonstrations on the DLR and in the area surrounding the venue.
A spokeswoman for the Campaign Against Arms Trade, CAAT, said: “Helicopters have an important role to play in civilian life but they are also used extensively in a military context. It is disturbing to see so many companies exhibiting at Helitech International in the Defence Systems and Equipment category - some are prominent arms companies manufacturing a range of equipment. This is an unwelcome development coming so soon after the DSEI arms fair.”
John Hyde, event director for Helitech International, said: “The move to ExCeL has allowed us to be more flexible when it comes to housing aircraft.”
You may also want to watch:
The show will give visitors the opportunity to view and explore over 20 helicopters during the exhibition which was held in Duxford, Cambridgeshire in 2011.
- 1 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 2 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 3 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park
- 4 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 5 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 6 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 9 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 10 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City