Helicopter show arrives in Custom House, days after arms fair
- Credit: Archant
Just days after the end of the arms fair an international helicopter exhibition opens today at the ExCeL exhibition centre.
Helitech International,run by Reed Exhibitions, will be staged at the Custom House venue for the first time over three days from September 24 to 26. Although it is designed as a predominantly civilian, business to business show, anti-war campaigners have pointed out that many helicopter manufacturers at the show also produce military aircraft.
ExCeL recently hosted the biennial Defence and Security Equipment International exhibition from September 10 to 13 and attracted opposition from protestors who staged demonstrations on the DLR and in the area surrounding the venue.
A spokeswoman for the Campaign Against Arms Trade, CAAT, said: “Helicopters have an important role to play in civilian life but they are also used extensively in a military context. It is disturbing to see so many companies exhibiting at Helitech International in the Defence Systems and Equipment category - some are prominent arms companies manufacturing a range of equipment. This is an unwelcome development coming so soon after the DSEI arms fair.”
John Hyde, event director for Helitech International, said: “The move to ExCeL has allowed us to be more flexible when it comes to housing aircraft.”
You may also want to watch:
The show will give visitors the opportunity to view and explore over 20 helicopters during the exhibition which was held in Duxford, Cambridgeshire in 2011.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow