Women only sports programme launched in Newham
- Credit: submitted
A women’s only sports programme has been launched in Newham.
ActiveNewham, the borough’s independent leisure trust, this month began a weekly programme of sport and physical activity sessions aimed at women.
The sessions are part of a national initiative called Us Girls led by sports charity StreetGames with support from the National Lottery and Sport England.
More than 160 women came to the launch at Newham Leisure Centre and tried out a variety of sports under the watchful eyes of International gold medal fencer Claire Bennett and England Under 23 and Arsenal Footballer Danielle Carter.
A variety of taster sessions including boxfit, zumba, pilates, aerotone, step and abs, rounders, badminton, short tennis and fencing were put on to reflect the sessions available.
You may also want to watch:
The programme is part of a campaign called Active Women aimed at tackling the gender gap in sport.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work