Women only sports programme launched in Newham
- Credit: submitted
A women’s only sports programme has been launched in Newham.
ActiveNewham, the borough’s independent leisure trust, this month began a weekly programme of sport and physical activity sessions aimed at women.
The sessions are part of a national initiative called Us Girls led by sports charity StreetGames with support from the National Lottery and Sport England.
More than 160 women came to the launch at Newham Leisure Centre and tried out a variety of sports under the watchful eyes of International gold medal fencer Claire Bennett and England Under 23 and Arsenal Footballer Danielle Carter.
A variety of taster sessions including boxfit, zumba, pilates, aerotone, step and abs, rounders, badminton, short tennis and fencing were put on to reflect the sessions available.
You may also want to watch:
The programme is part of a campaign called Active Women aimed at tackling the gender gap in sport.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 9 Barts apologises to family after death of Stratford woman
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims