Women only sports programme launched in Newham
- Credit: submitted
A women’s only sports programme has been launched in Newham.
ActiveNewham, the borough’s independent leisure trust, this month began a weekly programme of sport and physical activity sessions aimed at women.
The sessions are part of a national initiative called Us Girls led by sports charity StreetGames with support from the National Lottery and Sport England.
More than 160 women came to the launch at Newham Leisure Centre and tried out a variety of sports under the watchful eyes of International gold medal fencer Claire Bennett and England Under 23 and Arsenal Footballer Danielle Carter.
A variety of taster sessions including boxfit, zumba, pilates, aerotone, step and abs, rounders, badminton, short tennis and fencing were put on to reflect the sessions available.
You may also want to watch:
The programme is part of a campaign called Active Women aimed at tackling the gender gap in sport.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation