Will from Forest Gate overcomes water fear for swim award
Five-year-old swimming star Will Debenham has won an award after he overcame a fear of putting his face in water,
Will, from Forest Gate, was given the Newham Swim School Prize for exceeding his teacher’s expectations, his enthusiasm, and his commitment.
Swimming with the Newham Swim School for two years since he was three-years-old, Will’s prize was a certificate and a leisure centre goody bag,
Kathy Harvey, swimming teacher at Balaam, said: “Will started out by watching his sister in her lessons then wanted to join himself.
“He has always been nervous in water and feared putting his face in the water which has held him back in his swimming development.
“A few weeks ago, he turned a corner and is now putting his face in the water.
“This then increased his confidence and he started swimming.
- 1 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 2 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 5 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
“For this reason, I nominated Will for this great achievement.”
Newham Swim School, based at the Balaam, Newham, and East Ham Leisure Centres, is a swimming development programme open to all ages and abilities that also teaches water safety skills.
Enrollment is ongoing so to join, ask at reception, call 020 7476 5274 or visit www.better.org.