West Ham Boys’ Club gets new home in Plaistow
A community building, empty for two years, will be home to a boxing club after Newham planners gave permission for its change of use.
West Ham Boys’ Club, a self-funding charity, was established in 1922 and has always been based in a building off Plaistow High Street. The current lease on their existing premises will expire at the end of September and the club has been working with the council to find a new home.
Now they can move into the former Curwen Centre in London Road, Plaistow after getting planning permission for its change of use.
The decision was made at Local Development Committee meeting in September.
It will be open up to seven days a week between May and September with about 70 members training every evening. The club will be run by local volunteers, qualified coaches and club committee members.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Ian Corbett, executive member for leisure and sport at Newham Council, said: “We’re delighted that the club can finally rest easy in their new ‘home’.
“This is a knock-out example of how we’re doing everything we can to help support our residents and our communities. We will help every year 7 student in a Newham secondary school to find a sport they enjoy and are good at through our free activity programme – Every Child a Sportsperson. Working with the University of East London, our children can choose from more than 20 sports, from trampolining to rugby, helping them identify their sporting talents.”
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash