Warning: Cases of diabetes in Newham set to rise
Newham has the second highest number of diabetics in England, according to figures released by Diabetes UK.
Its analysis shows that 9.9 per cent of people in the borough have the condition, compared to an England average of 7.4 per cent.
Now it is warning that that even more Newham residents, 11.5 per cent, will have diabetes by 2020. The rise is expected to comprise mainly of new cases of Type 2 diabetes, where the risk factors include being overweight; having a large waist; being over 40, or over 25 if you are from a South Asian background; or a family history of diabetes.
Diabetes UK wants Newham residents to make sure they know the risk factors for Type 2 diabetes and have a risk assessment if any of these apply to them. People can do this at a pharmacy, their GP surgery, or online at www.diabetes.org.uk/risk. This is because a risk assessment can act as the start of people reducing their risk; about 80 per cent of cases of Type 2 could be delayed or prevented through making healthy lifestyle changes.
Roz Rosenblatt, Diabetes UK’s regional manager for London, said: “It is alarming that Newham has the second highest diabetes rate in England and addressing this situation needs to be one of the top health priorities in the area.
You may also want to watch:
“A vital first step towards this is to ensure both that people realise how serious it is and also that they understand their own personal risk so that if they are at high risk they can make the lifestyle changes that can help prevent it.
“This is why we need to raise awareness that if people are overweight, have a large waist or have a family history of diabetes, they need to get a risk assessment, as should people who are South Asian and aged over 25.”
- 1 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 7 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital