ExCeL to open as mass vaccination hub next week
Mike Bedigan, Press Association
- Credit: PA
The ExCeL in Custom House will begin operating as a mass vaccination hub next week, Downing Street has confirmed.
It is one of seven such sites across England being converted into regional centres in an attempt to meet the government target of vaccinating 14 million people UK-wide by February.
The prime minister's official spokesman said the centres are expected to be staffed with a combination of NHS staff and volunteers.
More details on how the vaccination sites will operate are expected to be revealed over the coming days.
The other venues are the Etihad Tennis Centre in Manchester, Epsom Racecourse in Surrey, Robertson House in Stevenage, the Centre for Life in Newcastle, Ashton Gate Stadium in Bristol and Millennium Point in Birmingham.
You may also want to watch:
Other facilities are under consideration. Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur have offered the use of their stadium.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 7 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 8 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 9 How staff helped Plaistow pupils win £1m of top college scholarships
- 10 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss