ExCeL to open as mass vaccination hub next week
Mike Bedigan, Press Association
- Credit: PA
The ExCeL in Custom House will begin operating as a mass vaccination hub next week, Downing Street has confirmed.
It is one of seven such sites across England being converted into regional centres in an attempt to meet the government target of vaccinating 14 million people UK-wide by February.
The prime minister's official spokesman said the centres are expected to be staffed with a combination of NHS staff and volunteers.
More details on how the vaccination sites will operate are expected to be revealed over the coming days.
The other venues are the Etihad Tennis Centre in Manchester, Epsom Racecourse in Surrey, Robertson House in Stevenage, the Centre for Life in Newcastle, Ashton Gate Stadium in Bristol and Millennium Point in Birmingham.
You may also want to watch:
Other facilities are under consideration. Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur have offered the use of their stadium.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 6 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week