St Bartholomew’s Church and Centre, including Doctors’ Surgery on Barking Road, celebrates 30th anniversary
St Bartholomew’s Church and Centre, which includes the Doctors’ Surgery on Barking Road, is celebrating its 30th anniversary this weekend.
It is 30 years since The Queen declared the new building open and the anniversary will be marked with special service and party.
The church is said to have been regarded as futuristic at the time as it combined not only a worship space but also a medical centre, sheltered housing, meeting rooms and offices.
Since 1983 the building has been used by a range of groups from Newham and beyond.
On Saturday the congregation will celebrate the Feast of St Bartholomew and use the opportunity to cut a cake, have a dance and a barbecue, and remember what was happening in 1983 with a special quiz.
You may also want to watch:
Sunday morning the Bishop to HM Forces, The Right Reverend Stephen Venner, will lead a service. which will be attended by other members of the Church of England East Ham team.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving