Special church service for Forest Gate centenarian
What a trooper! Maud Amess from Forest Gate celebrated her 100th birthday this week.
Born on May 2 1912, Maud has lived in Newham all of her life and St Antony’s Church in St Antony’s road held a personalised Mass for her on Sunday April 29 to celebrate her life.
A committed Catholic, Father Denis Hall conducted the birthday service for Maud who was unfortunately unable to attend due to the bad weather.
Her son, David Amess, Member of Parliament for Southend West, organsed the celebrations and spoke about her during the ceremony.
At the end of the service, Newham Air Training Corps played in her honour as Maud had served in the Women’s Land Army.
You may also want to watch:
David said: “It was a marvelous, marvelous occasion. The whole service was about my mother and her life, the sermon was about my mother, the gifts they gave were about her, and the Newham Air Corps even came home with us to play for her.”
The first time a Conservative MP’s mother has celebrated a centenary, Mr Amess also brought up the occasion in the House of Commons during Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday where Prime Minister David Cameron and Speaker of the House John Bercow paid tribute to Maud and wrote to her with their congratulations.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 10 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
The day was organised and attended by family and friends including her son David, her daughter Angela Burns, and granddaughter Katherine Amess.