Special church service for Forest Gate centenarian
What a trooper! Maud Amess from Forest Gate celebrated her 100th birthday this week.
Born on May 2 1912, Maud has lived in Newham all of her life and St Antony’s Church in St Antony’s road held a personalised Mass for her on Sunday April 29 to celebrate her life.
A committed Catholic, Father Denis Hall conducted the birthday service for Maud who was unfortunately unable to attend due to the bad weather.
Her son, David Amess, Member of Parliament for Southend West, organsed the celebrations and spoke about her during the ceremony.
At the end of the service, Newham Air Training Corps played in her honour as Maud had served in the Women’s Land Army.
You may also want to watch:
David said: “It was a marvelous, marvelous occasion. The whole service was about my mother and her life, the sermon was about my mother, the gifts they gave were about her, and the Newham Air Corps even came home with us to play for her.”
The first time a Conservative MP’s mother has celebrated a centenary, Mr Amess also brought up the occasion in the House of Commons during Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday where Prime Minister David Cameron and Speaker of the House John Bercow paid tribute to Maud and wrote to her with their congratulations.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
The day was organised and attended by family and friends including her son David, her daughter Angela Burns, and granddaughter Katherine Amess.