Special church service for Forest Gate centenarian
What a trooper! Maud Amess from Forest Gate celebrated her 100th birthday this week.
Born on May 2 1912, Maud has lived in Newham all of her life and St Antony’s Church in St Antony’s road held a personalised Mass for her on Sunday April 29 to celebrate her life.
A committed Catholic, Father Denis Hall conducted the birthday service for Maud who was unfortunately unable to attend due to the bad weather.
Her son, David Amess, Member of Parliament for Southend West, organsed the celebrations and spoke about her during the ceremony.
At the end of the service, Newham Air Training Corps played in her honour as Maud had served in the Women’s Land Army.
David said: “It was a marvelous, marvelous occasion. The whole service was about my mother and her life, the sermon was about my mother, the gifts they gave were about her, and the Newham Air Corps even came home with us to play for her.”
The first time a Conservative MP’s mother has celebrated a centenary, Mr Amess also brought up the occasion in the House of Commons during Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday where Prime Minister David Cameron and Speaker of the House John Bercow paid tribute to Maud and wrote to her with their congratulations.
- 1 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 2 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 3 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 6 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 7 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 8 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 9 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 10 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
The day was organised and attended by family and friends including her son David, her daughter Angela Burns, and granddaughter Katherine Amess.