Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- Credit: PA
A second Covid-19 vaccination hub is opening at a shopping centre as an exhibition centre's closes.
Another centre at Westfield Stratford City is due to open in May before the vaccination centre at ExCeL London in Royal Victoria Dock closes in June.
It's a move being made to allow the ExCeL's owners time to prepare the venue to host events later this year.
Increased footfall in Stratford and its proximity to public transport links mean it will provide a convenient spot to get inoculated, according to NHS England.
Andrew Hines, a lead group director at Barts Health NHS Trust, said: "We’re delighted to be running a new vaccination centre in such a popular and busy location – which will help us to reach even more people in east London."
You may also want to watch:
In Newham, 108,000 first doses were given up to April 11 - this equates to 29 per cent of the population.
This includes 92pc of older people in care and 81pc of those aged 75 or above, according to council figures.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
The borough has the highest number of young people anywhere in the country, with 36.5pc of its population under 24 years old, according to the town hall.