Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- Credit: PA
A second Covid-19 vaccination hub is opening at a shopping centre as an exhibition centre's closes.
Another centre at Westfield Stratford City is due to open in May before the vaccination centre at ExCeL London in Royal Victoria Dock closes in June.
It's a move being made to allow the ExCeL's owners time to prepare the venue to host events later this year.
Increased footfall in Stratford and its proximity to public transport links mean it will provide a convenient spot to get inoculated, according to NHS England.
Andrew Hines, a lead group director at Barts Health NHS Trust, said: "We’re delighted to be running a new vaccination centre in such a popular and busy location – which will help us to reach even more people in east London."
In Newham, 108,000 first doses were given up to April 11 - this equates to 29 per cent of the population.
This includes 92pc of older people in care and 81pc of those aged 75 or above, according to council figures.
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 5 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 6 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 7 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 8 Man found on fire in East Ham park dies
- 9 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 10 Masked driver found guilty of Ilford murder jailed for 35 years
The borough has the highest number of young people anywhere in the country, with 36.5pc of its population under 24 years old, according to the town hall.