Quit smoking in 2012
Smokers are being urged to use the New Year to give up the habit by NHS Newham.
Last year NHS Newham helped 2203 people quit smoking. Despite wanting to quit, many others are unaware of the support available or just do not feel ready to go it alone.
NHS East London and the City have local support services to help people who want to quit. A new service offered by Newham’s Stop Smoking team will be available every Saturday and Sunday from January 7 2012 until March 25 2012 (Saturday 9am to 5.30pm and Sunday 10am to 5pm) in the Stratford Centre supporting smokers who want to stop.
The stand located in Central Square, temporarily replaces the Saturday drop-in at St. John’s Church. It will be staffed by advisers who can provide free, confidential advice and support to Newham resident, as well as those who work, study or socialise in the borough. Smokers will be able to sign up, and then return each week for continued support during their quit.
In addition to the Stratford Centre stand, the Newham service continues to offer its successful one-to-one support in a variety of locations throughout the borough.
You may also want to watch:
Advisers are available at nearly every pharmacy in Newham, many GP practices, and some dental practices. There are community drop-ins in East Ham, Stratford, Manor Park and Newham University Hospital NHS Trust and specialist support is available for pregnant women.
Research shows that you are four times more likely to stop smoking by using an NHS Stop Smoking Service than going it alone. The NHS Stop Smoking service is free.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 10 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
For more information call 0800 013 1673 or (020) 7059 6630 (Newham) or visit http://smokefree.nhs.uk/.