Quit smoking in 2012
Smokers are being urged to use the New Year to give up the habit by NHS Newham.
Last year NHS Newham helped 2203 people quit smoking. Despite wanting to quit, many others are unaware of the support available or just do not feel ready to go it alone.
NHS East London and the City have local support services to help people who want to quit. A new service offered by Newham’s Stop Smoking team will be available every Saturday and Sunday from January 7 2012 until March 25 2012 (Saturday 9am to 5.30pm and Sunday 10am to 5pm) in the Stratford Centre supporting smokers who want to stop.
The stand located in Central Square, temporarily replaces the Saturday drop-in at St. John’s Church. It will be staffed by advisers who can provide free, confidential advice and support to Newham resident, as well as those who work, study or socialise in the borough. Smokers will be able to sign up, and then return each week for continued support during their quit.
In addition to the Stratford Centre stand, the Newham service continues to offer its successful one-to-one support in a variety of locations throughout the borough.
You may also want to watch:
Advisers are available at nearly every pharmacy in Newham, many GP practices, and some dental practices. There are community drop-ins in East Ham, Stratford, Manor Park and Newham University Hospital NHS Trust and specialist support is available for pregnant women.
Research shows that you are four times more likely to stop smoking by using an NHS Stop Smoking Service than going it alone. The NHS Stop Smoking service is free.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 3 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 7 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 10 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
For more information call 0800 013 1673 or (020) 7059 6630 (Newham) or visit http://smokefree.nhs.uk/.