How many NHS staff are off sick with Covid in east London?
- Credit: Peter Byrne/PA Wire.
More than 600 NHS staff in east London are off work due to Covid, figures reveal.
The latest government data shows Barts Health NHS Trust had 334 staff absent either with Covid or isolating because of it as of January 2.
The trust - which runs five hospitals including The Royal London, Mile End, Newham and Whipps Cross - had a total of 822 employees off sick in total.
This represents about five per cent of its total workforce of 16,855.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) had 263 Covid absences on January 2, which accounts for more than half of the 429 staff off sick.
Data published by the trust itself shows total illness absences had risen to 547 – with 306 related to Covid – on January 5.
This included 81 staff who were isolating and 225 who had tested positive for Covid.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 Dawson determined to see West Ham bounce back
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 6 Campaigners dress as animals to deliver letters about farm closure
- 7 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 8 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
The total absences represent around seven per cent of the workforce of the trust, which runs Queen’s Hospital in Romford and King George Hospital in Goodmayes.