Newham University Hospital fails patient care standards report
- Credit: Archant
Newham University Hospital failed to meet four out of five patient care standards in a new health report.
The Care Quality Commission’s (CQC) first dedicated review of patients’ privacy, nutrition and dignity across the country was published yesterday and the hospital in Glen Road, Plaistow, was only one of two hospitals in London asked to make improvements after an inspection was carried out on wards in August last year.
CQC inspectors found that people’s privacy, dignity, and independence were not always respected with patients complaining that curtains did not close properly and screens could be seen through.
The report also found that food and drink did not always meet adequate standards, the correct steps were not taken to protect staff from abuse, and medical records were not kept properly.
A spokesperson for Barts Health NHS Trust said: “Barts Health NHS Trust strives to provide outstanding care to every patient, every time, and we take the issue of patient dignity and nutrition extremely seriously.
You may also want to watch:
“A CQC inspection in August 2012 found minor concerns around the care, privacy and nutritional support provided to elderly patients at Newham University Hospital and we have since put a comprehensive action plan in place to address these concerns.”
These measure include improving safeguarding training with elderly patients, and increasing out of hours inspections by senior nursing staff; making sure curtains and screens are fully enclosed and putting in a ‘protected mealtime policy’ to improve privacy and assistance; and improving record-keeping by completing nutritional assessments when admitting patients while raising awareness of malnutrition.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
The CQC also said the failed care standards had a minor impact on patients’ care at Newham University Hospital and it has asked them to compile a report in 14 days with details on how they will improve.