Coronavirus: Applause across Newham to thank NHS workers
- Credit: PA
People took to their doorsteps, windows and balconies for a minute’s applause to thank NHS workers for their efforts during the coronavirus crisis.
Across Newham - and the rest of the country - neighbours united to recognise healthcare workers who are on the front line of the pandemic.
Video footage captured residents in Stratford’s East Village joining in with the applause.
A spokesman for the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park development explained: “Residents applauded the hardworking doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals from their windows and rooftops. Hundreds of NHS workers live in the Village so the moment was extra special!”
The London Stadium also put up a banner showing support for the initiative.
Lyn Garner, chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said: “We are proud to show our support for #clapforourcarers and the NHS through Europe’s largest screen at London Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
“This seemed a powerful way to support the campaign to say thank you to those that are caring for all of us in London and across the UK.”
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 7 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Man found on fire in East Ham park dies
- 10 Masked driver found guilty of Ilford murder jailed for 35 years
Did you take part in the applause? Send your photos and videos to email@example.com