Coronavirus: Applause across Newham to thank NHS workers
- Credit: PA
People took to their doorsteps, windows and balconies for a minute’s applause to thank NHS workers for their efforts during the coronavirus crisis.
Across Newham - and the rest of the country - neighbours united to recognise healthcare workers who are on the front line of the pandemic.
Video footage captured residents in Stratford’s East Village joining in with the applause.
A spokesman for the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park development explained: “Residents applauded the hardworking doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals from their windows and rooftops. Hundreds of NHS workers live in the Village so the moment was extra special!”
The London Stadium also put up a banner showing support for the initiative.
You may also want to watch:
Lyn Garner, chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said: “We are proud to show our support for #clapforourcarers and the NHS through Europe’s largest screen at London Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
“This seemed a powerful way to support the campaign to say thank you to those that are caring for all of us in London and across the UK.”
- 1 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 2 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 3 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 4 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 5 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
Did you take part in the applause? Send your photos and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org