Newham named as one of London’s most inactive boroughs
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Newham, despite having a whole host of Olympic-standard facilities, is one of London’s most inactive boroughs, a study has found.
Almost 60 per cent of residents participate in no sport whatsoever - the fifth worst score in the capital - equating to roughly 150,000 people, a survey of 1,500 Londoners by GolfSupport.com has found.
Of those Londoners who do no sport, 24 pc blamed tiredness, 18 pc said they had other commitments, 12 pc thought it was too expensive, 8 pc lack motivation and 6 pc have no desire to do sport.
Camden is London’s most active borough, with 37 pc of residents doing no sport.
“The fast-paced nature of London translates to its residents, who are preoccupied with work and social engagements,” said GolfSupport.com’s managing director, Gary Swift.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst the Olympics did initially surge sport participation numbers, it seems the nostalgia is now stagnating.”
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 3 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 4 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 5 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 8 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections