Newham named as one of London’s most inactive boroughs
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Newham, despite having a whole host of Olympic-standard facilities, is one of London’s most inactive boroughs, a study has found.
Almost 60 per cent of residents participate in no sport whatsoever - the fifth worst score in the capital - equating to roughly 150,000 people, a survey of 1,500 Londoners by GolfSupport.com has found.
Of those Londoners who do no sport, 24 pc blamed tiredness, 18 pc said they had other commitments, 12 pc thought it was too expensive, 8 pc lack motivation and 6 pc have no desire to do sport.
Camden is London’s most active borough, with 37 pc of residents doing no sport.
“The fast-paced nature of London translates to its residents, who are preoccupied with work and social engagements,” said GolfSupport.com’s managing director, Gary Swift.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst the Olympics did initially surge sport participation numbers, it seems the nostalgia is now stagnating.”
- 1 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 4 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham