Newham named as one of London’s most inactive boroughs
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Newham, despite having a whole host of Olympic-standard facilities, is one of London’s most inactive boroughs, a study has found.
Almost 60 per cent of residents participate in no sport whatsoever - the fifth worst score in the capital - equating to roughly 150,000 people, a survey of 1,500 Londoners by GolfSupport.com has found.
Of those Londoners who do no sport, 24 pc blamed tiredness, 18 pc said they had other commitments, 12 pc thought it was too expensive, 8 pc lack motivation and 6 pc have no desire to do sport.
Camden is London’s most active borough, with 37 pc of residents doing no sport.
“The fast-paced nature of London translates to its residents, who are preoccupied with work and social engagements,” said GolfSupport.com’s managing director, Gary Swift.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst the Olympics did initially surge sport participation numbers, it seems the nostalgia is now stagnating.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 5 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 6 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 7 Covid funding boost for Newham homeless and young people charities
- 8 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home