Newham named as one of London’s most inactive boroughs
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Newham, despite having a whole host of Olympic-standard facilities, is one of London’s most inactive boroughs, a study has found.
Almost 60 per cent of residents participate in no sport whatsoever - the fifth worst score in the capital - equating to roughly 150,000 people, a survey of 1,500 Londoners by GolfSupport.com has found.
Of those Londoners who do no sport, 24 pc blamed tiredness, 18 pc said they had other commitments, 12 pc thought it was too expensive, 8 pc lack motivation and 6 pc have no desire to do sport.
Camden is London’s most active borough, with 37 pc of residents doing no sport.
“The fast-paced nature of London translates to its residents, who are preoccupied with work and social engagements,” said GolfSupport.com’s managing director, Gary Swift.
“Whilst the Olympics did initially surge sport participation numbers, it seems the nostalgia is now stagnating.”
- 1 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Fire breaks out in Canning Town house
- 4 Men jailed for using explosives in string of ATM thefts
- 5 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 6 Police investigate fire at derelict Forest Gate church
- 7 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 8 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 9 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 10 Fornals: West Ham will fight for three points