Newham named as one of London’s most inactive boroughs
- Credit: Vickie Flores
Newham, despite having a whole host of Olympic-standard facilities, is one of London’s most inactive boroughs, a study has found.
Almost 60 per cent of residents participate in no sport whatsoever - the fifth worst score in the capital - equating to roughly 150,000 people, a survey of 1,500 Londoners by GolfSupport.com has found.
Of those Londoners who do no sport, 24 pc blamed tiredness, 18 pc said they had other commitments, 12 pc thought it was too expensive, 8 pc lack motivation and 6 pc have no desire to do sport.
Camden is London’s most active borough, with 37 pc of residents doing no sport.
“The fast-paced nature of London translates to its residents, who are preoccupied with work and social engagements,” said GolfSupport.com’s managing director, Gary Swift.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst the Olympics did initially surge sport participation numbers, it seems the nostalgia is now stagnating.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 4 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing