Newham hospital patients benefit from pampering treatments
- Credit: Archant
Elderly patients at Newham University Hospital have been enjoying hair and beauty treatments thanks to a partnership between a health authority and a college.
The project, which is the result of a partnership between Barts Health, East London Foundation Trust and Epping Forest College, benefits both patients and students.
Health bosses believe the opportunity to be pampered contributes to the health and wellbeing of elderly inpatients while the hands-on experience allows students the chance to gain the further practical experience they need to qualify as therapists.
Tom Smith, Consultant Psychiatrist, attended the final session at the Glen Road, Plaistow hospital to say thank you to the students as they come to the end of the summer term. He said: “We’d like to say a huge thank you to the college for giving their time to improve our patients’ experience.
“Being able to offer our patients an opportunity to have a haircut, or have a beauty treatment makes a real difference and helps them feel better, thereby aiding their overall recovery.”
You may also want to watch:
Ronald Payne, a patient at Newham, said: “I came in due to a problem with my leg and am really pleased that I managed to get a haircut. It is an absolutely amazing service, the girls are really professional and we had a lot of laughs while entertaining each other.”
Jacqueline Webster, one of the students, said: “It has been really good coming into the hospital. It has allowed me to gain some practical hands-on experience and I’ve really enjoyed it.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
The health and beauty sessions will continue to be provided at Newham University Hospital during term-time.