Newham hospital patients benefit from pampering treatments
- Credit: Archant
Elderly patients at Newham University Hospital have been enjoying hair and beauty treatments thanks to a partnership between a health authority and a college.
The project, which is the result of a partnership between Barts Health, East London Foundation Trust and Epping Forest College, benefits both patients and students.
Health bosses believe the opportunity to be pampered contributes to the health and wellbeing of elderly inpatients while the hands-on experience allows students the chance to gain the further practical experience they need to qualify as therapists.
Tom Smith, Consultant Psychiatrist, attended the final session at the Glen Road, Plaistow hospital to say thank you to the students as they come to the end of the summer term. He said: “We’d like to say a huge thank you to the college for giving their time to improve our patients’ experience.
“Being able to offer our patients an opportunity to have a haircut, or have a beauty treatment makes a real difference and helps them feel better, thereby aiding their overall recovery.”
Ronald Payne, a patient at Newham, said: “I came in due to a problem with my leg and am really pleased that I managed to get a haircut. It is an absolutely amazing service, the girls are really professional and we had a lot of laughs while entertaining each other.”
Jacqueline Webster, one of the students, said: “It has been really good coming into the hospital. It has allowed me to gain some practical hands-on experience and I’ve really enjoyed it.”
- 1 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 2 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
The health and beauty sessions will continue to be provided at Newham University Hospital during term-time.