Newham hospital patient wet themselves as health inspectors watched
Care Quality Commission inspectors visiting Newham General Hospital had to call a nurse after a patient wet themselves, according to a report.
The CQC report, which is based on an inspection at the Glen Road, Plaistow hospital in June said: “On the Thistle ward we observed one patient who appeared to be agitated winging and calling out. After some time this person wet themselves and the bedclothes. We had to call the nurse to attend to the patient.”
Inspectors said staffing levels on two wards were inadequate to meet patient needs.
The report also said Barts Health NHS Trust needed to take action to ensure that staff should be properly trained and supervised and should have the chance to improve their skills.
The report found that the Trust met the required standards in five out of the seven areas measured. These were respecting and involving people who use its services, care and welfare of people who use its services, meeting nutritional needs, safeguarding people from abuse and keeping records.
A spokeswoman for Barts Health NHS Trust said: “Barts Health are pleased that Newham University Hospital met the standards of the Quality Care Commission in five areas of their inspection. The results shows our commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of every one of our patients. We greatly value the results of the inspections as it enables us to know when we are doing well, but also when steps are needed to make improvements. In the case of the two areas where standards were not met dedicated teams are working hard to support staff across the hospital to ensure they consistently receive high standards of support.”
- 1 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 2 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 3 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 6 Covid-19: How the situation in Newham compares to this time last year
- 7 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 10 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home